WHOA it’s been forever since I’ve been on the blog. Time to get back into the swing of things. I am currently working on a post about my trip to Prague–I swear I am–but in the meantime, a short little post!
First of all, current assistants who read here, how’s it going?? If I remember correctly you’re probably about in the middle of your two week break right now. Did you all find a place to live? How’s school going? Are you traveling right now?
Secondly, a quick update on my life. Since I returned from France I interviewed at three different schools, applied at three different temp agencies, got a teaching job AND a temp summer job, moved out of my parents’ house into my own rental house, and started working full time teaching English, French, and ESL at a local high school! I’m loving it. At some point I might do a photo recap of my summer, but who knows if I’ll ever get to that point.
And lastly, since returning to the States I’ve been noticing some things as “soo American” (said in a haughty voice). Here are some things I’ve experienced since being home that are very different from Europe, for better or for worse!
- Having a DRYER!!
2. Parades. Also, a huge “Vote Republican” elephant.
3. Free refills + attentive waiters = good. Tax + tipping = bad.
4. Big cars. I was behind a Hummer the other day with a bumper sticker: “Buy a hybrid. I need the gas.”
5. A huge gun display at a store (granted, I was at Bass Pro Shop, but still). And signs like this.
6. Snow in October. Not so much American, but very not south-of-France!
7. Pumpkin patches, including a huge pumpkin cannon.
8. BACON EVERYWHERE! Also huge portions, Mexican food, ice in glasses, peanut butter, Pepsi products, and my favorite chips.
9. Baseball, and a general obsession with sports that are not soccer.
10. Graduation caps and gowns.
11. Memorial Day services.
12. Silly things like the world’s biggest frying pan.
13. People dressed like slobs when out eating, shopping, etc.
14. A general disdain for smokers.
15. And of course… fireworks! Bonus points if they’re over a baseball field.
Wow, I’ve really missed blogging. Feels good to be back!